Public Holidays in Paris
It is always a good idea to look up the country’s public holidays before traveling. This way you’ll know in advance when the museums and other attractions close, or if you’ll be present to witness any special celebration.
- New Year: 1 January
- Easter Monday: first Monday after Easter
- International Workers’ Day: 1 May
- Victory in Europe Day: 8 May
- Ascension Thursday: Date varies
- Pentecost Monday: Date varies
- Bastille Day: 14 July. Commemorates when the French population, tired of the monarchy’s abuse and power, stormed the Bastille. It marks the beginning of the French Revolution.
- Assumption: 15 August
- All Saint’s Day: 1 November
- Armistice Day 1918: 11 November. Commemorates the armistice signed between the Allies and Germany, putting an end to World War I.
- Christmas: 25 December