Paris is one of the largest cities in the world and has hundreds of interesting neighborhoods, areas and squares. Here is a list of the top Paris neighborhoods that are a must-see during a visit to this fascinating city, either because of their historic or cultural interest:
The best neighborhoods in Paris
- The Île de la Cité is one of the natural islands found on the River Seine. This is the heart of France’s capital and where the city was founded.
- Smaller and cosier than its neighboring Île de la Cité, the Île Saint-Louis is a haven of peace and tranquillity in the heart of Paris.
- The “Quartier Latin” (Latin Quarter) is one of the oldest districts in Paris. Full of bars and restaurants, the Latin Quarter is one of the top places to go out at night.
- Known as the painter’s neighborhood, Montmartre houses some of the oldest cabarets in Paris and the Sacré-Coeur Basilica (Sacred Heart).
- With hundreds of skyscrapers, La Défense is one of the major business districts in Europe.
- The Champs-Élysées is 1.2 miles (1.9 km) long and is the most beautiful and well-known avenue in Paris. It is also one of the world’s most famous commercial streets.
- Situated between the Champs-Élysées and the Tuileries Garden, the Place de la Concorde is one of the major public squares in the city. During the French Revolution, the guillotine was erected here.
- The Marais is one of the trendiest and most cosmopolitan neighborhoods in Paris. The Place des Vosges, one of the district’s most famous squares, is also the oldest in Paris.
- Place Vendôme is one of the city’s most famous and beautiful neoclassical squares.