Discover the first example of Gothic architecture in the world: explore the magnificent Medieval Basilica of Saint Denis located just outside of Paris.
Basilica of Saint-Denis: what to expect?
Pointed arches, rib-vaulted ceilings, stunning stained glass windows... the characteristics of Gothic architecture follow a clear pattern: the Basilica of Saint-Denis. This Medieval abbey church, located in the outskirts of Paris, was the first building to be constructed in the architectural style that would spread over Western Europe between the 12th and 15th centuries.
Your ticket will give you skip the line access to the Basilique de Saint-Denis so you can explore its awe-inspiring interior at your own pace. The cathedral is the final resting place of many of France's historic monarchs and their extravagant tombs are well worth a visit. Don't miss the funerary monuments of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette, the royals whose execution was one of the first events of the French Revolution.
In addition to the sculptural masterpieces in the Basilica of Saint-Denis, you'll be captivated by the spectacular stained glass windows, especially the rose window, and the colourful illumination of the cathedral thanks to the light that shines through.
The Santi Denis Basilica has the following opening hours:
- April 1st to September 30th: Monday to Saturday, from 10 am to 6:15 pm. Sundays, from 12:30 to 6:15 pm.
- From October 1st to March 31st: Monday to Saturday, from 10 am to 5:15 pm. Sundays, from 12:30 to 5:15 pm.
The last access is 30 minutes before closing time.
Please note the following additional 2022 opening hours:
- Friday April 1st: closure at 4:45 pm (last access at 3:30 pm).
- Sunday April 3rd: last access at 12:45 pm.
- Friday April 8th: closure at 4:45 pm (last access at 3:30 pm).
- Saturday April 9th: closed all day.
- Friday April 15th: last access at 12:45 pm.
- Saturday April 16th: open until 12:30 pm.
- Sunday April 17th: open until 1 pm.
- Saturday April 23rd: last access at 3:15 pm.
- December 24th and 31st: closure at 4 pm.
Due to certain masses, concerts and other events, the Saint-Denis Basilica is closed on certain days of the year. You can consult the dates of these events on the official website of the Basilica of Saint-Denis.
Skip the line ticket
When you reserve this ticket, you get skip the lines that usually form at the Basilique Saint-Denis ticket offices. However, please bear in mind that you will still have to go through security controls to access the monument, which may involve queueing.
Entry to the Basilique of Saint-Denis is free for the following people:
- Young people in the European Union between 18 and 25 years old.
- All children under 18.
- Unemployed people, people with disabilities, journalists, architecture students, people working in the tourism sector, military personnel, police officers and members of other state security forces.
Entry is also free for everyone on the first Sunday of the month from 1st January to 31st March, and from 1st November to 31st December.
If you've already purchased a general ticket with Civitatis and wish to reserve another free ticket for anyone in the above categories, you can get it at the ticket office with your booking. You'll have to present a document that justifies your eligibility for the free ticket.
Please check local restrictions before traveling. All of our services comply with recommendations to avoid the spread of Covid-19. Show more
It is mandatory to present a complete vaccination certificate. This information is for guidance only and may change depending on local regulations. Always check the restrictions before travelling.
Skip the line access to Basilica of Saint Denis.
When to book?
You can book up until 1 hour before the activity as long as there are still places. Book now to guarantee your spot.
Type of voucher
Electronic. Show the voucher on your phone.
Not wheelchair accessible.
All services published on Civitatis are carried out in accordance with our Sustainability Code.
No printing of documentation required.
Frequently asked questions
Q - How to book?
A - To reserve the activity, choose the date and complete the form on this page. You will receive your confirmation immediately.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
Basilique de Saint-Denis.